Electricity - Apply Your Knowledge
You've seen a number of different uses of electricity at the Columbian Exposition and explored how people viewed the relatively new technology of electricity.
Now it's time to come together to share what you've learned about electricity and technology at the Chicago's World's Fair in 1893. Take all that you've learned collectively and prepare a presentation for the class.
Consider the following questions as you prepare your report:
- What would it have been like to have seen so many electrified buildings all at the same time?
- Why did electricity make such a big impression on visitors to the fair?
- How might electricity changed people's perceptions of the Columbian Exposition? Might the use of electricity altered their view of other aspects of the Fair?
- Is electricity more or less important today?
- How can and does technology affect our lives today and in what ways has studying the Columbian Exposition's introduction of technology and electricity changed your understanding of the introduction of new technologies today?
- How did the Columbian Exposition's use of electricity create a sense of progress in America and help provide a basis for standardization and acceptance of this technology throughout the United States and other parts of the world?